The Jamaica Central Securities Depository Limited (JCSD), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Jamaica Stock Exchange (JSE), was incorporated on January 8, 1998. The JCSD was established to provide depository and settlement services for securities traded electronically on the Exchange using a book entry system. This book entry system allows for easier transfer of ownership and eliminates loss or theft of certificates since there is no need to physically pass certificates from seller to buyer during an electronic trade.
Objectives of the JCSD
- Accountable for the safe custody and movement of securities, accurate record keeping, the processing of trade transactions and the collection and distribution of entitlements relating to the securities that have been deposited by Participants;
- Maximize the efficiency of the capital market through the electronic holding of securities in a secure environment, both regional and global;
- Provide Participants with a reliable, cost-effective depository, custody, clearance and settlement system;
- Deliver innovative, value added solutions that help build competitive advantage for the Jamaica Stock Exchange Group.
Welcome to the Jamaica Central Securities Depository where we custody and settle securities listed on the Exchange and those issued via private placements.
The JCSD has a clear mission and vision statement. Both the mission and vision statements speak to the strategic direction for the JCSD Group which includes JCSD Trustee Services Ltd.
JCSD Board of Directors
The Jamaica Central Securities Depository Limited (JCSD) is led by a Board of Directors comprising nine (9) members; six (6) of whom are independent directors. The Board is composed of:
- The Chairman of the JSE Board
- A member dealer representative
- A representative from the Ministry of Finance
- The Managing Director of the JSE
- The remaining members are Independent Directors
The Board of Directors ensure that the interests of all stakeholders are protected. Consequently, the strategic direction of the organization developed by the Management team are approved by the Board ensuring that it is consistent with the mandate of the company. The Board also approves the risk framework, policies, budget and systems that support the strategic direction. The JCSD develops a comprehensive strategic plan every five years. The strategies are translated into key performance indicators (KPIs) for the entire team.
The Board Committees serves all boards of the companies within the JSE Group. Each Committee has a written charter outlining its purposes and responsibilities. Committees must meet at least twice annually.
The JCSD has two Departments, namely Depository Services Unit (DSU) and Registrar Services Unit (RSU).
The DSU holds securities in electronic form so that ownership can be easily transferred through a book entry system.
The RSU provides registrar, transfer, paying agent and capital distribution services to its Issuer clients both locally and regionally.